Thursday, May 7, 2009

angel flying too close to the ground

"Amen, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven."
- Matthew 18:3

It's so easy for me to see the face of Christ in every child I meet. I think this is why I love children so much. They are simple, innocent and they see things in such a remarkable way. As much as we, as adults, can teach and guide children, we can learn many valuable lessons from them.

Tonight I met a wonderful little angel at the hospital whom we will call Jax. Jax suffers, from what I can assume, a neurological disorder. I never really ask what illness the patients have because I do not want to be nosy, and their disease isn't really relevant to my duties and purpose as a volunteer.

Despite Jax having her head wrapped up and a machine monitoring her brain function, she sported a beautiful smile. She kept calling my friend Juju and I beautiful and that we were the prettiest girls she had seen. Her words were so genuine. She told us so much about the different tests that had been done to her, about her family and all her dolls. Jax said that she loved getting MRIs done and she thought brain surgeons were cool. She wants to be a doctor for big people when she grows up. I was amazed at her courage. She is only about 6 yrs old and she is more brave than I am. I hate MRIs! I come close to having panic attacks every time I get one done.

Jax then revealed to Juju and I her source of strength. Drum roll please...God! She showed us this little doll named Hannah that sang a song: Jesus loves me, this I know. For the bible tells me so. Little ones to Him belong; they are weak but He is strong. Yes, Jesus loves me. The bible tells me so. Jax sang that song with such enthusiasm and she made Juju and I learn it so we can sing along with her. Her mom told us that Jax had brought that doll with her and she would only listen to that song before going into surgery. I was floored. This little child who was facing such a huge surgery, needed to just listen to this song to be reassured that Jesus was looking over Her. That even though she is weak, she has a Lord who is much stronger than her that was going to take care of her.

Wow...if we could only be more like children.

No comments:

Post a Comment