Sunday, May 10, 2009

keeping my eyes open

I can't believe I am blogging so late. But my friend Chuwi said I should while it was still fresh in my memory :) I love my Chuwi.

Before I left my house tonight,to go out with some friends, my mom said to me: "abre tus ojitos." I was going to a posh Miami bar and was haning out with a different group of people, so my mom was hopeful I could meet a potential mate. She really wants me to find a boyfriend and settle down ASAP. A part of me wants this too... a large part of me actually.

Keeping my eyes open wasn't really hard since within 10 minutes of being there an attractive young man walked in and sat across from me at the table. I couldn't believe it that my mission would be so easy! This guy looked like a guy my mom would really like. Mr. Whiskey Sour turned out to be a cool guy. He was very talkative which at times made me feel bad because I felt like he was stealing me away from my friends. But at the same time it was very flattering that he was really interested in talking to me. Out of all of the girls at the bar he wanted to talk to me the most. He would even look for me when I would leave his side. Mr. Whiskey Sour didn't care about the girl who put an ice down his shirt as a desperate measure to get his attention. I actually tried giving him a push to go and dance with this chick, but he wouldn't because he was too wrapped up in our convo.

Unfortunately, Mr. Whiskey Sour is not what I am looking for. He is a great conversationalist, smart, attractive, funny and has an endearing accent, but no depth. He is kind of a "good on paper" kind of guy. But I am very appreciative that I met him tonight. I think he served an important purpose. For the first time in a long time, I placed myself out in the dating world. I met a stranger at a bar and we got to pick at each others' brains for a few hours. For the first time I didn't think about him while I interacted with Mr. Whiskey Sour. For the first time I didn't compare Mr. Whiskey Sour to him. I was able to be flirty and yet not over analyze every single word that came out of his mouth. Most importantly, I felt that he couldn't really see inside of me as he looked into my eyes. I felt protected...my heart felt protected. It was something superficial. So this was a good step for me.

But in the end the wrong guy was talking to me...

No comments:

Post a Comment